Monday, March 12, 2007

Tidbits.

To those who read and comment on this blog: thank you very much for your remarks! I did not expect anyone to notice this tiny blog. *Childish excitement at the thought of such famous personages reading my ramblings*

Anyway, various small, odd events occured today. Most of them mildly unfortunate and/or humourous in some way; at my expense, naturally.

  • I was multitasking during thermodynamics class: taking notes and doing calculus assignment at the same time. Alas: 1. I sit at the front row (imprudent, I know). 2. I asked a problem last week and the professor pointed out an example this morning as an illustration to the solution of my problem...while I wasn't paying strict attention. Oops. At least the whole class got a laugh out of it, I suppose? It is fortunate that the professor had a sense of humour. (Professor: "Is [echiral] paying attention? I guess not.") Disclaimer: I did notice him saying my name...
  • The thermodynamics class got dismissed slightly early, so I went to a nearby (~1 minute away) store to purchase a stapler for stapling assignments at the last-minute. Unfortunately, the person ahead of me in the line had some issues with his printer cartridge, so I had to wait...and be late for my calculus class. Thus, I sat at the back of the classroom instead of the front. Alas: the professor noticed. (Professor: "What are you doing back here? You are supposed to sit up front.") This professor is a very kind one, too. And yes, I was embarrassed...now everyone knows I was late. *Sigh*
  • --Nothing happened in general chemistry (!). My notes on buffers took up 4 lines, and that was for a quantitative definition of buffering capacity. Sad? I know. This is what happens when universities teach high-school level chemistry to first-years. The most depressing part is that the midterm average is still absymally low. As in less than 60%.--
  • During algebra: sat in a daze while the professor dazzled us all with dual spaces. It was confusing - I can understand the proofs, sort of, but I have no feeling of where he is going with it...(there's a more positive sequel to this.)
  • --During statistics: fretted about not being able to sum unusual sums (fraught with capital sigma's and pi's). At least I did most of my stats, for a change. Cram session tomorrow with some peers! Hope it goes well.--
  • During organic chemistry: practically fell asleep due to prior sleep deprivation (can't take it any more, I guess...which is unfortunate since the stuff is kind of fun). Even worse: later, the professor emailed me saying I cannot write midterm 2 due to a lack of space...*sad*
  • Lunchtime - went to the Registrar to get some finances straightened out. Alas: the secretary lady could not fill out my form for me until my final grades are out. This means I have to hope I can still reach the Registrar before I leave for work. Argh.
  • Algebra, sequel, i.e. tutorial: the professor went through the very cool Hahn-Banach Separation Theorem (the cool part being that we can use it for infinite-dimensional vector spaces). He also elaborated on dual spaces in an attempt to demystify it for us. He got excited. We got excited, too - he ended up doing an (albeit very preliminary) introduction to measure theory. It's great! Some random math-related chatting with peers afterwards. I was shown to be wrong on the blackboard, but at least my mind got straightened out, which is good.
Now, as usual, a list of Things To Do (or, Things [that] Are Due):
  • CS. First and foremost, since that's due tomorrow. Will work on this after I finish blogging and after a particular someone stop asking about stats that I can't really answer. (Which bodes ill for the stats midterm, too.)
  • Calculus. Finished most stuff, need to work on the last question, also incidentally the professor's favourite question. Also: must type out a bonus, and work on the others.
  • Professional Development course. Must write suitably meaningful paragraphs about proper workplace behaviour. Erk. Many paragraphs, due on same day. Erk.
  • Chemistry lab. I didn't mention it because it's a tedious acid-base titration involving much staring at the senile pH meter (I swear the pH meter is really senile).
  • Physics lab. Must read, since the lab is tomorrow. Must due the final physics assignment, too, and start reviewing/making summary sheet.
  • Thermodynamics. For once, not due this Wednesday (due to the midterm).
  • Practice piano. The Joplin is not too bad, but it can use alot of work. The Handel is evil. Argh, Baroque basso continuo parts...(it sounds great - if you have all the counterpoint and ornamentation down. Well, I guess Handel is not as evil as Bach, but, bad enough.)
  • Renew my library books, and more importantly, read them.
Let's see what more things-to-do pops up as the evening passes...

1 comment:

Ψ*Ψ said...

I'll admit to hating every single lab that involved the pH meters here. More than half are broken. All are slow. Plus, working in an analytical lab introduced me to the wonder that is an autotitrater. Damned if I'll touch a buret ever again...