Sunday, June 17, 2007

A Random Post. Anti-slacking Measures. And then some.

Hmm, I have been neglecting this blog for awhile, haven't I? There are reasons, of course.

Work is oddly draining. I think alot less than I do at school, but I come home exhausted every single day, anyway. Public transport is a very effective soporific. Night shift isn't as terrible as some have described it, though - I don't mind it, actually, even if I never did get a chance to use the UV-vis. Now I have to get used to day shift all over again...

Course selection for next term is coming up, too! Starting Monday, actually, eep. I planned out my courses already, but there will be Issues, like organic chemistry conflicting with linear algebra. Emailed some professors about them already...hope they'll reply soon before I get into trouble. If only one of the two courses happen one hour later. Just one hour. No point in moping, I suppose.

At any rate, I still have lots of review to do. Seriously, my textbooks and lecture notes are all staring reproachfully at me as I type. So, let's try this little experiment: Starting Monday*, I will post something from my introductory spectroscopy notes at least once a week. Let's see how long my resolution will last amid the pressures of writing reports and overtime. If this works, I might even do this with calculus and linear algebra...

*Not today...hm, procrastinator's attitude?

Onto planning out a report reflecting on my business-writing skills (or lack thereof). Must finish complete outline and start draft by this evening...let's see what happens.

And now, for something completely different:
I want my piano here with me. Impossible, of course, but my hands are getting uselessly stiff from lack of practicing - a very bad sign. And I miss that neat shift of the entire keyboard as the una corda pedal is depressed. Maybe I will get a digital piano...any recommendations?

Want: decently weighted keys, a nice tone/sound reproduction, support for flutter [damper] pedal, sostenuto, and una corda, built-in speakers and a connection for headphones. Some ability to simulate resonance would be good too...so would recording capabilities and an ability to simulate other instrumental sounds (celesta, harpsichord, and the like are nice). Ideally, it should also be light enough for one pedant to carry. Sadly, a high-end digital piano will cost more than my tuition for the term (not counting the multitude of miscellaneous fees that universities and student societies charge), but if I am getting a piano at all (and lugging it around), I might as well get a nice one that won't ruin my touch. *Sigh*.

No comments: