Saturday, December 15, 2007

Echiral goes Crazy.

And no, it's not because organic chemistry has destroyed what's left of my sanity (yet).

Essentially...

A professor said yes! A professor said yes! Wooooot!

It's a tentative yes, but, a professor said yes! I might actually be working in research this summer! It's my first time, bear with me...

Now I need to send some sort of reply to the professor. And somehow go back to studying organic...but with a much lighter heart. Whee!

(Poor linear algebra, on the back burner...)

[Edited]
Now that I think of it:
Does anyone know of a good textbook on relativity? Something along the lines of relativistic effects on quantum mechanical systems? And understandable to an undergraduate, non-physics major? My first-year physics texts are no good.

A good, solid, introductory quantum mechanical text would be nice, too. I've heard all sorts of authors (Griffiths, McQuarrie, Levine, Metiu, Liboff, Phillips...) but I have no idea which one is actually useful. For self-study that is. And it should have nice proofs in it - no magic.

I forsee a shopping spree in the near future...

(Yes, I am so studying organic. *Cough*.)

5 comments:

Ψ*Ψ said...

My prof used McQuarrie, and it was alright. I think it's either Levine or Atkins that's supposed to be really thorough.

I'm guessing your research won't be organic?

Echiral said...

Thanks for the tip, I'll go look in the bookstore...

Frankly, I don't think I'll survive a term of research in organic. Even if organic chemists get to make all sorts of shiny things.

Ψ*Ψ said...

I promise it's fun! Synthetic chemistry is the only job I've found that never gets boring. But you seem like more of a physical/analytical type.

Felix said...

i liked kutzelnigg to start with. but i don't think they translated it.

Shawn Wilkinson said...

Griffiths is good for some self-study, but he tends to relegate some important and inciteful proofs to the excercises. Liboff is similar.

McQuarrie's Q.Chem book is found pretty verbatim in the McQuarrie & Simons P.Chem book. So, I'd rather invest in that and get the Stat Therm/Chem Therm intro. that's good as a foundation. I have no experience with Atkins, but it looks big and colorful compared to McQuarrie&Simons, so it depends on what you're looking for.

Relativistic effects in quantum mechanical systems? Liboff would probably be your best bet. Shankar was very thorough, as well, but expect a lot of Dirac notation in his book.

I can't remember the one monograph I read that introdcued me to relativistic effects in the electronic structure of transition metal complexes.