Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Fume Hood Story, Sequel

One might recall that the fume hood at my workplace died recently. Well, it's fixed now, which is great, but apparently my luck is just as great as it was when the fume hood died.

Ok. The fume hood died the day before yesterday late in the afternoon. I got a bit of work done.

I was due to leave the worksite yesterday, but weather delays caused the flight to be cancelled. Meanwhile, I have all this time that I could potentially use for my experiments, but I can't do anything because the fume hood is dead all day. The worst? best? thing is, my compound did end up crystallizing beautifully into yellow needles at the bottom of my flask, but I can't filter sans fume hood. No clean product means no data collection. In the end I had to seal up everything using various ad hoc methods (it involved disposable aluminium weighing pans, lots of tape, and paper towels), sadly gazing at the pretty needles while being unable to work with them.

Naturally, today the fume hood got fixed right before I had to fly offsite.

I hope my compound doesn't decompose in my absence, but with my luck, no doubt it will. In two weeks time, we shall see...

No comments: