I can't believe I almost forgot about these pictures.
The ICP gone wrong, taken with a cellphone camera.A reaction I've been wanting to do ever since I have heard about it. Pretty colours, loud(ish) noises, and bright lights. What more do you want?
[Edited]
Ok, ok, I'll describe what I did in the second picture. Concentrated sulfuric acid on the bottom. Methanol on top. Add a few crystals of solid potassium permanagate, and wait. Give it a swirl if impatient. The reaction is described here and here, though whether the light is due to ozone or manganese (VII) oxide I am not sure. The water bath is there in case something goes wrong.
It's fun to clean up the reaction, too: pouring out the mess causes the methanol to burn all at once, on places like my (fortunately, gloved) finger. What is this safety thing of which you speak?
Monday, April 21, 2008
Pictures I Forgot to Post
Posted by
Echiral
at
8:08 AM
Labels: At Work II
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Which reaction?
Safety? What's that?
Post a Comment