Saturday, May 17, 2008

So My Weltanschauung* Isn't Shaken After All

One might recall that I complained about the lack of "salicylic acid" as an entry in the CRC handbook. It turns out that the entry is actually there; for some reason the search function in Adobe Acrobat didn't catch it last time, that's all.

So the CRC handbook is still relatively infallible. Whew.

Ah, lab reports. Not challenging, just tedious. Resonance structures, anyone?

I think I'll put up a list of things left to do, because that's what I do all the time...

  • Apply for jobs (done! Until next week, when there will be more jobs to apply for)
  • Organic lab report (done!), and the prelab for the next experiment(done, but one of the melting points I got is from an Aldrich MSDS with all other physical properties being "n/a" - because it's not anywhere else - and I don't really trust it...)
  • Inorganic assignment 1, which I've finished thinking about, but I still need to type it up
  • Analytical lab prelab and preplanning (I know it's not a substitute for thinking on one's feet, and Murphy's Law always applies, but I write really detailed "procedures" for myself when I do analytical lab, right down to when to wash which glassware and write in the lab notebook)
  • Memorize the 20 amino acids, because I still haven't done that yet. *cough* I remember what glycine looks like...there's 19 more to go.
  • Differential Equations assignment 1. Solving the equations is the most interesting part (and that isn't very interesting in the first place) - stupid curve sketching makes up the rest.
  • Neglected problems, i.e. thermodynamics and biochemistry
  • Research project (more graphs and plots, which aren't challenging to do, but requires a bit of time; also I need to learn how to make animations...)
  • Laundry and groceries, the most relaxing part of this list; I also need to sew a few buttons back on my lab coat
  • If there's still time (after all, it's the long weekend), there is always real analysis to study for: midterm is coming up!
Random remark 1: ooh, Karl Fischer titration with autotitrator looks kind of cool. Maybe I should do that instead of voltammetry. Then again, maybe not. Hmm.

*No, I can't pronounce it. But I like that word.

1 comment:

Ψ*Ψ said...

For melting points, use Beilstein if it's available. Also great for finding recrystallization solvents. :)