Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Chagrined

I got my real analysis midterm back on Monday, and my analytical midterm today. One word only: oops.

For real analysis, I had one genuine "I don't really know how to solve this" *scribbles partial solution* and one stupid mistake (I said that a Banach space is a normed vector space that is complete...but I didn't specify "in the induced metric space"). Which is fair enough.

However, for analytical, I made sundry (in retrospect) stupid errors, the most dramatic of which involved significant figures. I know, I know...*Hangs head in shame.* Fortunately, there was a (simple) bonus question, which helps eke out the marks.

As for the job search, yes, I picked the research one (thanks ψ*ψ!). Thus I am going out-of-province again. Now I just have to explain this to my irate parents.

I need to remember to pull out some more paperwork so that I can get enrolled into the courses I want the term after the next one. Conversation:

Me: I petitioned to do this now, and the Powers that Be said I could, but they now want to wait until several months later, and that is too late. What to do? *Shows proof.*
Registrar: You are pretty much screwed anyway. Make your professors sign more forms. They probably won't really help, but maybe they would.

Thankfully, my academic advisor is a wonderful person who gives me pretty much free rein*. Still, must follow the red tape and make all the right incantations in hopes that they work. *Sigh*

Hmm, I also really need to start studying for thermodynamics midterm this Friday. Really must.

*I should stipulate: my math advisor is the nice one - an advantage of being in an obscure program! My chemistry advisor is a bit bitter from having to deal with first-years all the time.

1 comment:

Ψ*Ψ said...

Yay research! Hope you love it. At least you know you won't be running solids all summer.
Pretty much every prof in my department who deals with undergrads is bitter. I blame the pre-meds. (And the administration for ignoring us, but whatever.)