The inorganic professor explained something to me today (twice) and I still don't really know what he's talking about. So I am just putting down what I remember so I can look them up after the real analysis final. Or possibly before, as I am easily distracted.
Two disparate parts, really.
First: for that hexavalent allene-like carbon compound? Deriving the MO for that uses the exact same procedure as for say, SF6, except the energy separations are different (the C-O "bond" is very weak). D4h symmetry, by the way, after ignoring the aromatics. The MOs should correspond well with the Lewis structure for the molecule.
Second: the LGOs for the pi system of benzene has the representation a2u + b2g + e1g + e2u. Both b2g and e2u lack a corresponding basis function, so it's not as easy to sketch the MOs for the LGOs following these two symmetries. Of course, everyone kind of knows what the pi system for benzene (and other aromatic/antiaromatic compounds) look like from organic anyway, but still.
There are three ways to go:
Friday, August 1, 2008
Keywords on Dnh MOs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment