Friday, December 12, 2008

Getting a Little Creaky There...

Oww. I feel elderly today.

There wasn't all that much to do in the lab today, so I cleaned the floor. Yes, the floor*. For safety reasons, only lab personnel can clean the floor - what with all the solvents and reagents and whatnot. And due to the nature of the lab itself, that floor gets really dirty, really fast.

Also by the nature of the lab, floor-cleaning is completely manual, as nothing less can get all the crap off. In other words, it's me with a squeegee**, a putty knife, alot of organic solvents, and several rolls of paper towels. And the lab is not a small place. The task makes me grateful for my very durable lab pants - among other things, it's still free of holes in unintended places, and since it's black, stains don't show.

Now I am sore all over, like some rheumatic oldster. Also going slightly crazy (well, crazier than usual) due to all that solvent fumes. Ow. The weekend is an opportune time to recuperate.

Note to coworkers who won't (or at least, shouldn't) be reading this anyway: the next person who makes a mess on the floor has to deal with me. And I do not plan to make it a pleasant experience. (*glowers*)

*The first time I had to do it, I became um, shall we say, rather bitter. Ok, extremely disgruntled. But I am more-or-less resigned to it now (if the student won't do it, who would?); besides, it's nearly the end of the term.
**For some reason (perhaps the solvent fumes have something to do with this), I like this word. Squeegee!

No comments: