Interviewing season is upon us. Let the madness begin.
At my school, we students start applying for jobs in mid-late January this term. Usually, employers screen us for interviews by early-mid February, although some have held records for being the latest one screening through students. But I digress.
This term, I have already started to hear back from employers. That is good. What's not as good is that my first interview is this Thursday. That is unnaturally early. I am not mentally prepared! (Oh dammit, I have to get my suit dry-cleaned, and my "cram-sheet" on the employers* prepped.)
Not surprisingly, the economic downturn is reflected quite clearly in the number of jobs available for students. Couple that with the fact that students from oher universities usually have co-op terms in the summer, well - competition will be especially fierce this term.
It is thus rather strange that I am applying for very few jobs this term. Usually, I try to make sure I get a job by applying to over 40 positions. This time around, there aren't even 40 positions I am eligible for (e.g. some jobs require driver's licenses), much less 40 jobs I feel vaguely interested in. In fact, this time I am only applying to jobs I think are cool** - analytical chemistry, for the most part. One polymer science. A couple related to pharmaceuticals (more to the point, the pharmaceutical company's chromatographs and spectrophotometers). Some random stuff. Of these few, there are a couple of places I am really hoping for, but those places are also the ones notorious for screening students late. Sigh. I hope I get a job, anyway.
(Ok, back to work: continue last night's marking, start on combinatorics assignment, and possibly finish a lab report.)
*Current interview count: 2. One analytical (I applied to this place before but they cancelled the position), and one polymer chemistry. Unfortunately, both will require skipping parts of classes.
**There are exceptions to this statement that, in retrospect, seems to be due to the fact that I applied for all the jobs at about 7 a.m. when I was not fully awake. Oops. (E.g. analyzing milk samples for fat content every day for four months? Um...)
Monday, January 26, 2009
Interviewing Season's Early This Term
Posted by
Echiral
at
11:04 PM
Labels: University Life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment