Saturday, January 31, 2009

More Complaining on Marking

It's strange how unsympathetic I can be to students' errors*, despite the fact that I am a student myself, and undergraduate to boot.

Typical errors of the day:
1. In linear regression, a r-value close to 1 means an excellent linear relationship (check out this site for creating a counterexample)
2. A plot of a line of best fit is required for numerical data interpolation, e.g. calculating the x-value given a y-value (what, the equation's not good enough for you?)

At least this set of problems is easy to mark.

*Including my own. Which doesn't explain why I wrote something stupid on my organic midterm like claiming a bulky base will work for SN2 in a retrosynthesis...*bashes head against wall*

[edited]
*Cringe* In the context of UV-vis spectroscopy, we refer to the absorbance of a sample, not the absorbency of a sample. The latter just sounds...wrong.

No comments: