Thursday, February 5, 2009

Quoth the Prof

Sometimes, professor say strange things, especially when the class size is small.

In inorganic today: "The person who left early should've made sure that she has done everything she should have." Ouch! *I* was the one who left early, mainly because I needed to go to the washroom. And yes, I made two huge and stupid mistakes. (One: didn't complete the unit cell with respect to corners. Two: forgot to calculate packing efficiency for hcp - read the question too quickly and missed the second part...It was such an easy exam, too!)

In nanostructural today: "I can tell you how to do it [synthesize the material], but then I'll have to kill you." The professor was showing us electron micrographs of materials his group has synthesized and recently* characterized, somewhat as a demonstration of how it is possible to achieve complex structures under "simple" conditions by controlling various parameters.

*Recently, as in yesterday. The micrographs were dated, you see.

No comments: