Saturday, February 28, 2009

Which Genius Did This?

Ok, who made Calculus 4 conflict with Inorganic 3?

On the one hand, I really want to take inorganic 3 (this is the transition metals course); it's a graduation requirement so I need to take it anyway. On the other hand, calculus 4 is a quantum mechanics prerequisite and therefore extremely important (no calc 4 means no graduation until 2012(!)). Grr.

In fact, that particular timeslot is quite popular; in addition to the two I mentioned, two other courses I want to take (ODEs and finite fields) happen at that same time too.

I thought the Registrar is supposed to be intelligent about scheduling? Can't they make inorganic one hour earlier? Or one hour later? Just not at that hour? (Sigh.)

On the positive side, if all goes well* there will be x-ray crystallography. And instrumental analysis. Yes!

If I get really lucky maybe the Registrar will switch some courses around (the schedule is "tentative" at the moment) and make everything work. Given that this is the Registrar, though, well...not likely.

*There's currently some inconsistency between the departmental course list and the Registrar one. Please let there be crystallography.

2 comments:

Rivikah said...

Hah,

They frequently have annoying conflicts even within math. There's no way they are going to manage to come up with a schedule that doesn't have conflicts with courses for other majors.

Echiral said...

Well, the Registrar did come up with an "innovation" called pre-enrolment in order to help cut down on course conflicts (i.e. perform course selection a term early so that the Registrar can work out a schedule). Strangely enough, course times are (albeit tentatively) set even though pre-enrolment hasn't started yet.

(And anyway, pre-enrolment hasn't done much good to me thus far - I *still* get course conflicts.)