The-program-that-shall-not-be-named just won't handle them, it seems. Or something.
This here is basically as a log to keep track of what I've tried so far.
Goal: geometry optimization, followed by a frequency calculation. Your typical sequence of events.
The input structure is the optimized structure of a molecule that looks exactly the same except the charge is different by +1. Hence the open shell.
Things that I've tried from here (all of which failed):
Now I am trying to force the convergence, and added a couple of thousand of cycles to compensate. Let's see if that works, although I am not optimistic in that regard (the log file is not looking good).
I should note that the error isn't "I ran out of cycles/memory". More like "something weird's happening and so I keep repeating the same procedure - which doesn't work - until I run out of cycles".
Actually, I should also try shifting the MO energies. And turning off DIIS extrapolation. Maybe later, when the current run is finished.
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Open-Shell Systems are Cursed
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
so which does not converge the SCF or the optimization?
in both cases i would say that there are awesome free programs around. and all of them have different ways of converging things. so one may work
and well the program that you are probably using is notorious for not converging in difficult cases
and yes: dft/b3lyp is about the same time as hartree fock but the results are superior (for molecules, not solid states). i don't think it makes sense to use hartree-fock
The SCF now converges, yay! (Now it just need to actually finish the calculation...)
Yea, it probably would've been better to use DFT in the first place, but now that I'm halfway there I might as well finish with Hartree-Fock.
Post a Comment