Sunday, May 3, 2009

Does Anyone Else Do This?

Whenever I see a pair of crucible tongs turned upside-down on a bench (i.e. such that the tips are touching the bench), I must - no matter what - turn them over.

The reason is simple - upside-down tongs are more prone to damage. For those who haven't used crucible tongs for awhile, crucible tongs are not flat; they are shaped like a pair of scissors with tips bent perpendicular (more-or-less*) to the "scissoring plane". If someone accidentally pushes down on the tongs while they are upside-down, they might get bent out of shape to uselessness.

This was taught to me during my second work term - the beaker tongs there are really crucible tongs, and I used them very often. Nobody there ever flipped the tongs the wrong way, but from then on, I am paranoid about upside-down tongs, even though they are rather trivial in the grand scheme of things (it's not like, say, messing with an ICP quartz tube).

It got to the point where if I see someone - even someone I hardly know - leaving tongs upside down, I'll flip them over. Yes, in front of the offender. Must...flip...

I'm thinking about this because starting tomorrow I'll be working in a lab with ovens and furnaces, and those always remind me of beaker/crucible tongs. Does anyone else have obsessive lab behaviour with trivial equipment like this?

(I was going to include an image of crucible tongs, but many of the ones on Google are upside-down. And I can't flip them over. Noooo! Flip them over! Flip them over! *Quickly closes window*)

*It's actually an obtuse angle with respect to the rest of the tongs (or acute with respect to the bench when the tongs are right-side-up, whichever way you want to look at it)

I know I've been on hiatus for the last while; nothing bloggable happened, therefore no blog posts. I don't know whether I'll post more when work starts; we'll see.

No comments: