Sunday, May 24, 2009

More Glassware Shenanigans

Because I am totally slacking off from my calculus and professional development homework, I'm posting about glassware instead.

First thing: what's the teflon vacuum valve plus ground glass joints thing that connects glassware to a vacuum manifold* called?! (I've heard it called "Schlenk hat", but Google disagrees.)

Anyway, when people buy these teflon valves, apparently they don't come with any ground glass joint whatsoever - those are sold separately. However, the valve does come stuck to some glass tubing.

Recently, one of my supervisors did the requisite cutting and joining of the various glass bits to make the final valve-plus-joint connector. It's interesting to watch - the flame temperature is much cooler because the glass is of the soda-lime variety. Also, to keep the tubing's diameter even, you blow into the tubing. Pretty neat.

*I'm not sure whether to call it a Schlenk line or not - it doesn't seem to have an inert gas line, but maybe it does and it's just that nobody uses it.

No comments: