Is it interesting to study the topology of fractal objects like the Sierpinski carpet? Given that they tend to be "mostly holes" rather than a nice* "surface" per se.
I actually don't know any topology, unfortunately, so my question might be a really dumb one. Oh well.
Anyway, I thought about this because I was making Sierpinski cookies (3 iterations, where a plain square is the 0th iteration) and they turned out kind of deformed. Ok, really deformed. However, I can probably say that the cookies (before I bake them) can be continuously un-deformed into the (3rd iteration) Sierpinski carpet. Idly wondering whether I'd actually be correct in saying that led to the actual question posed at the beginning of this post.
*"Nice" means alot of things in my lexicon. I usually use it with functions, where it means definitely at least continuous, probably C1 (or even smooth, maybe analytic, though I don't use these conditions much yet), possibly with nonzero derivative everywhere if the function's C1. For a surface I'll parametrize it (if possible) then apply my definition of "nice" for functions (if there exists more than one parametrization I guess I'll pick the "canonical" one if it exists, or just "the nicest one I know for my current purposes" if there's no obvious choice). For a subset in a metric space I guess I want it to be compact and connected (it's been awhile since real analysis).
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Random Question During Cookie-Baking
Posted by
Echiral
at
4:36 PM
Labels: Mathematics, Miscellaneous
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment