This time, the report's mostly pictures.
Official time taken to write: 1 month
Actual time taken to write: 1 week
Time spent procrastinating/banging head against wall due to lack of data: 3 weeks
Number of words: 4275
Number of times laptop needed restarting*: 3
Number of times Foxit** screwed up my diagrams and I had to re-do them: 10
Good news of the day: Finished work report, what else?
Really good news of the day: I went to the PI with a question, and he agreed with one of my conclusions, which happened to be against everyone else's conclusion in the literature.
Really bad news of the day: the same said PI discovered that my stoichiometry calculations were wrong. Which means all my samples, all these months, had problems. I must've been drunk at the time, never you mind that I don't drink ethanol-based solutions.
The other bad news of the day: the lids of one of my reaction vessels (read: jam jar) for my personal experiments went rusty, and contaminated the contents inside. Ick. Must chuck in lab waste bin tomorrow.
Anyway, the report is off to the presses, and will be handed in tomorrow afternoon (whenever the people at the copying place finish binding). Amazingly, there's no appendix (ah, "supporting information") needed - almost everything fit in the report itself, experimental and all.
Incidentally, should I give a thank-you card to my supervisor? It's the polite thing to do (actually, the polite thing would be to get an actual gift), but under the circumstances...
*Yea, I haven't gotten a new laptop yet. Macs are great, except they are freaking expensive and I'm broke from paying tuition. Maybe after I get my paycheck.
**I should get Adobe Acrobat. Or Illustrator. Someday, when I can afford it. I just need it to make pixel-by-pixel adjustments on pdfs.
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Work Report Statistics
Posted by
Echiral
at
10:04 PM
Labels: At Work IV
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Don't burn bridges--no matter how awesome it would feel to tell him/her supervisor off!--but I don't think you're obligated to do anything particularly nice for your supervisor.
If you give anyone a thank-you card, it should be the PI...more useful for a letter of recommendation when you need one, and in this case seems much more likable. :)
Post a Comment