This term I found a job on campus myself (yes, the economy is still in the dumps); the professor that I will be working with has already given me some stuff to do. The good thing is that they are interesting stuff. The bad thing is that they are interesting stuff - I get distracted from studying.
Anyway, recently one of my calculations had a problem and wouldn't run properly (it's not a convergence issue).
On the one hand, the professor was awesome and took the time to help me fix the problem, despite it being grant season*, and yay, now things seem to work.
On the other hand, it ended up being a really, really stupid newbie-type problem.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry (or bang my head against the wall).
*It's funny how nearly every chemistry professor I have this term mentioned having to hole up somewhere and write grant proposals, while none of the math professors did.
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Love/Hate Relationship
Posted by
Echiral
at
8:53 AM
Labels: Chemistry, Pre-At Work V
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Campus lab jobs are awesome, and totally worth the distraction! Glad you found one.
Get used to the headbanging moments, though...and the stupid mistakes...and feeling like a moron half the time...(you didn't mention that last one, but it tends to accompany research)
Asking stupid questions is totally part of the "feeling like a moron" part. It'll no doubt get worse when I start trying to synthesize stuff and everything turns into tar. (Did I mention the time when I had 0% yield? That set a new standard, that one.)
0% yield...now THAT brings back some memories :)
these days it's 0% power conversion efficiency, or 0 V for Voc :(
Post a Comment