I am marking assignments right now. Very few papers (less than 15), but it's taking me more than 2 hours to finish marking one question. And there are 10 questions. That's not good.
Usually, innovative solutions are appreciated. But not when they are oh, about ten times longer than the professor's solution, and is incorrect in many fundamental ways.
Furthermore, invoking Cantor's diagonal argument needlessly and in vain (and incorrectly) will result in a very pissed off me, and that's not good.
In addition, please write legibly! I don't need typed (although that's nice); I need readable. Not scribbles. Also, don't write in red pen. Red is My colour. Nobody has written in neon gel pens yet, though, which is a relief.
Argh.
Things I still need to do after marking:
One thing to be grateful for: organic chemistry assignment is trivial. Whew! Now let's hope I didn't screw up some of the bromination products by stupidity...
Sunday, October 14, 2007
A Message to Hapless Students
Posted by
Echiral
at
5:22 PM
Labels: University Life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Speaking of stupidity and screwing up bromination products...
I inherited a project once from a former undergrad. The second step in the synthesis was a quick & easy bromination on two methyl groups on a large-ish aromatic ring. He ended up getting a crystal structure...where the ring was brominated. As it turns out, if you don't want bromine on your aryl whatevers...you shouldn't use a steel syringe needle to add the bromine.
Post a Comment