I have a question to my readers.
If you have to pick between focusing on computer science or statistics, which one would you pick? Which would be more useful for persuing a career in chemistry?
The sad thing is, I don't really like CS or statistics. But there's no denying that they are useful. Both subjects have cool parts in them, too: CS ideas/algorithms (if not the coding) are pretty cool sometimes (dynamic programming is nice), and it's really nice to know where the t-test (and its many variants) came from without applying it blindly in analytical chemistry (yay for Gaussian response models!).
Gah. Hard to choose. Technically, I can take both, but that'd mean taking mainly third-year courses and no fourth-year ones (lots of prerequisites needed) unless I don't graduate until very, very late. Either case is not a good option.
Ok, ok, back to studying for finals instead of maundering about future courses...
Thursday, December 6, 2007
Randomly Thinking About Courses Next Term
Posted by
Echiral
at
10:27 PM
Labels: University Life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Between the two, I'd definitely take CS. Stats...I don't think would actually be that useful in chemistry. Biology or psychology or softer sciences, maybe, but we get REAL data.
Actually, I don't think I'd take either if I had the choice. You may find you're better off taking advanced chemistry courses instead, if you want to go past a B.S.
Post a Comment