So I've garnered another parasite acquaintance recently. Someone who isn't very good at thinking for oneself, essentially, and often asks for homework help.
I don't generally mind helping other people, because often it results in a tradeoff in which I evaluate my own perceptions on the subject, as well. I do require people to think, though, because if I give away answers (which I sadly do if I become too impatient) then nobody learns anything.
It is also notable that my diction is influenced by the fact that mathematics rule approximately half my world. So, I say "obvious" and "trivial" often, and am quite fussy about certain words. More to the point, I give out hints using such language.
This results in me sounding rather arrogant. Which, as I tend to dryly remark, makes everyone hate me, sooner or later. And that's fine.
It still makes things a little awkward when someone who is asking for my help complains about it, though. I don't think it's internally consistent to call someone a know-it-all and a jerk, then ask her for help afterwards. Even if it's true.
Perhaps some sensitivity training for both of us would be merited here. Except I've been to a sensitivity training session, and it is, shall we say, not insightful.
Tuesday, June 3, 2008
Sensitivity Training
Posted by
Echiral
at
9:55 PM
Labels: University Life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment