Monday, July 21, 2008

Oh. *Pause.*

As the (few) readers of this blog know, my next job will involve research in an industrial environment. For this particular position, the company has also applied to one of those industrial grants that companies can get for interns/students. My supervisor has kindly sent me a copy of his proposal so I can see what (roughly) my project will be.

It will involve computational modelling.
It will involve statistics.

*Pause*

Meep. *Suddenly feels underqualified: one year of CS, one term of statistics - not adequate.* And I think I've mentioned how much I don't love CS and statistics before. Maximum likelihood estimate, maximum likelihood estimator, Gaussian response models...gah. And don't mention trees. AVL trees, B-trees, binary trees. Gah(*2).

On the optimistic side, I've never actually seen how people do modelling of physical phenomena before. Nor do I actually know all that much about statistics. So this is definitely something new. I wonder which program (or language) will the company use? (please let it be something relatively easy to learn if I don't know it already.) And there will be some experimental work, which is good - instrumentation (when they work) are our friends.

We'll see what happens.

No comments: