Today's xkcd comic has something of a historical reference.
What surprised me is that nobody in the xkcd forum seemed to have mentioned G. H. Hardy yet. He is famous for his A Mathematician's Apology, in which he said:
"No mathematician should ever allow himself to forget that mathematics, more than any other art or science, is a young man's game."
(Whether I agree with Hardy or not is a different issue, but the idea of being able to do what, say, Gauss did when he was young is indeed rather...romantic.)
Aw, now the comic reminds me of a novel's reference to Hardy's famous line (for the context, read the novel):
"A sad state of affairs, when God Almighty fails to stay abreast of the literature." Then, sighing: "But—’tis well said. Mathematics is properly the province of the youthful scholar. I fear me the Lord is past His Prime."
[Edited]
I stand corrected - someone did mention Hardy. Yay!
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Mathematics is a Youngster's Game
Posted by
Echiral
at
6:16 PM
Labels: Mathematics, Miscellaneous
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment