Sunday, August 17, 2008

Another Term Down

...and many more to go. To be pedantic, the end of the finals was actually slightly earlier this week (considering that today is a Sunday), but anyway.

Marks are also starting to come out today. I guess that's the main reason I am posting. This is probably the one major way in which I act like a pre-med (ick). It's a bad habit, but a difficult one to kick.

The bad news first:
My organic lab mark was right on class average, and not good. Another reason not to work in an organic lab. On the optimistic side, I didn't burn the (mostly wooden) lab down during the term, but then again, we didn't work with flaming syringes of t-BuLi or anything more exciting than Grignard reagents. Why does the organic lab have wooden fume hoods, anyway?

Reasonable:
Oddly enough, my organic lecture mark was decent. Quite unlike the lab. I don't know what to think of the mark, actually. It's right in the middle between "ok" and "doing decently well". The course was fun though, so it's all good.

Differential equations was alright. Since I slacked off all term on it, I didn't expect much. Eh. Now I can go onto the course that does *real* differential equations. Y'know, the theorems and proofs part. Eventually... (course scheduling being what it is...)

Pleasant surprises:
Inorganic was a little higher than I expected. The professor must have felt generous on scaling day. Apparently nobody failed the course, to which we the few who remained all cheer.

Analytical lab was...*blink blink* wha? It's not quite a miracle but I am still quite surprised. Maybe the professor was justified in that bopping.

Two actual miracles:

Amazingly, I passed biochemistry! No more biochemistry! No more brute-force memorizing! *bounces excitedly*

Even more amazingly, my real analysis mark was higher than I thought it would be. I thought I did rather poorly on the final, to be honest. It's never good when, not one, but two, major problems made one stop and go, "...huh?"

Waiting for:
Analytical lecture, thermodynamics. We shall see what happens.

Meanwhile, I have notes on angular momemtum (*sigh* physics) to read up on. But I see commutators. That's a good sign.

[Edited]
August 18, 2008. Introductory thermodynamics marks are out. Did fine, no effort. Meh, the instructor gives ludicrously easy exams and marks generously so that he can remain lazy, so this mark doesn't mean much.

August 27, 2008. Analytical lecture marks are out. Another happy, if almost-miraculous happenstance. Maybe the professor liked my answer to the bonus problem on the final, though there wasn't anything quirky on there.

As of this moment, I am right on track with my winter resolution with respect to marks. Something of a relief, that. The variance is a little large, though.

No comments: