Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Weird First Day

So today's my first day of work. It wasn't a good first day.

Got up at 5:00 a.m. (sigh.), did the usual ablutions, and went out. Ended up being half an hour early, which is about right. (Fortunately, tomorrow I get to sleep in a bit to 6:30 a.m. due to external training sessions.)

Spent all my carefully hoarded loonies and quarters (laundry money, ahah) on train ticket because exact change is required and I don't have enough "smaller change". Boo.

Changed vehicle from train to bus. The bus is insensately crowded, and I couldn't see where I ought to get out. Since previous instructions said that the ride should take about 10 minutes, I timed the ride to be exactly 10 minutes and got off then. Miraculously, it even worked.

Got to workplace, met supervisor and coworkers. They are very nice, and enjoy amusing themselves at each others' expense, but a little weird (who aren't?). Also, all guys. Got a brief tour of the place and a stack of papers to read. Sadly, I finished the papers um, rather early and spent half an hour twiddling my thumbs until a coworker invited me to watch them take apart some gadget in the lab. My job was to hand them plastic ties and be the scapegoat, heh. The lab looks more like an engineering lab than a chemistry one, but it's still pretty interesting to look at. The gas monitors at this lab (for things like CO and H2S) are much prettier than the monitors I saw (and had to bump/calibrate) previously.

Lunch consisted of me sitting there while everyone else talks about hockey and camping.

After lunch some administrative stuff was done, and I watched coworkers take apart more stuff.

Then I went out shopping with my supervisor for PPE and some parts for the lab. That was...interesting. (Let's just say that the supervisor would totally fail the driving test that day. Also, he got lost.) I never knew that what I thought was a men's clothing store sell lab coats! Pretty cool lab coats, too - dark blue, and extraordinarily sturdy. Also extraordinarily expensive, but hey, I don't have to pay for it. On the down side, the smallest lab coat in the place is still too big. Meh.

And that was the end of the work day. I learnt *some* stuff, but for a first day, this is very sedate indeed.

On my way out, right by where my supervisor's window is, I tripped, nearly fell on my face, and sprained my ankle. Ow.

The bus stop going back homewards was closed.

So was the bus stop before that.

Upon reaching a viable bus stop, the bus that arrived there first was packed, resulting in more waiting.

I almost couldn't find my way home.

I forgot to buy certain groceries and will need to do that tomorrow.

And now I just remembered - I forgot to log off the computer at my desk. It'll stay that way for the rest of the week since I will be out doing training elsewhere. Dammit.

Here's to a better day tomorrow. Safety training!

3 comments:

Ψ*Ψ said...

Doesn't surprise me that you had trouble finding a lab coat to fit. I usually have that problem too! Worse, though, I need extra-small gloves, and even then the fingers are a little long. Most chemistry/physics/engineering stockrooms won't carry them, which makes me sad. Occasionally a biochem or biology stockroom will be kind to me, though. Apparently I'm doomed to ordering gloves by the case for the rest of my life...

Echiral said...

Yea, gloves that actually fit are kind of hard to find. It's probably easier for me to nag my supervisor to buy extra-small gloves than for you to convince the chemistry stockroom to get them, though.

Ψ*Ψ said...

I gave up on that a loooong time ago. It's quicker and easier to order them myself...fortunately, my supervisor at the analytical lab has no problem with buying them, especially since another girl I work with also wears the tiny size.