At my workplace, half of my coworkers are mechanical engineers of one stripe or another. From paper towel racks made of coat hangers to pilot plant extensions, these engineers build them all.
I admire these coworkers for their mechanical ingenuity - I hardly know which wrench is which*, much less the ways of using a wrench to fix a recalcitrant pump (no, don't whack it). Their knowledge of such seemingly mundane things as valves and fittings, and how they work together in a large system, is amazing. It's a humbling experience to watch these engineers go about their work, and honestly I'd love to help out more often except I will get in their way.**
Sometimes I wonder how such competence turn out - trust me, the majority of engineering students at my university aren't good for anything but consuming beer***. How do they survive in a machine shop drunk/hungover is beyond me.
Anyway, able as my engineering coworkers may be, they don't notice the little things that aren't quite in their field of view. Things that a student can notice.
This leads to me obsessively-compulsively doing things like levelling the top-loading balance after every single time the engineers move it. Yes, it's just a top-loading balance, but levelling just takes a minute or two****, and even a top-loading balance deserves to be treated properly. If they treat the analytical balance like this I think I'll go kick the perpetrator. And no, I am not letting them engineers touch the precious new pH probes.
*Interestingly, depending on type, *both* ends of the wrench can be usable.
**Yes, I am jealous of all those toys they get to play with. More gadgets! More!
***Based on first-year observations. Of course, that's a biased sample.
****The knack for levelling balances is partially innate; it's amusing to watch people who don't have the skill swear for fifteen minutes straight as they try to level the balance. (Of course I offer to help...afterwards *grin*).
Bitter rant-y postscript:
Sadly my job still consists mostly of cleaning - no samples are forthcoming, so there's no data collection/analysis and nothing else to do. Coworkers compliment me on how well I clean stuff - isn't that sad when I am capable of so much more?
Friday, October 3, 2008
Engineers and Balances
Posted by
Echiral
at
10:01 PM
Labels: At Work III
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment