Previously, I've made some sodium carbonate for fun (even if the final experiments didn't work). This time, I need sodium carbonate for work.
The thing about my workplace is that they have minimal analytical reagents and equipment. An analytical balance that goes only to three decimal places. A pH meter with buffers. A few volumetric flasks. A burette*. There isn't even a single volumetric pipette in sight.
However, I want to carry out an acid-base titration**. The titrant and analyte are abundant in the lab, but I don't have any primary standards. Now what?
Possibly the most obvious solution would be to buy some standards. Things like KHP and sodium carbonate doesn't cost that much, even at analytical grade (I think). Unfortunately, it takes weeks for reagents to be delivered, and I don't have that much time.
In theory, of course, I can simply calculate the titrant concentration by measuring its pH. The accuracy and precision of the pH meter, however, leaves much to be desired, especially when the standard's pH will lie outside the usual calibration range of 4.01 to 10.00.
So here I am, cooking sodium carbonate so I can use it as a standard. Obviously, food grade reagents are not as pure as primary standards ought to be, but here's to hoping that they will be pure enough. I can't believe this, but I am actually nostalgic for a simple, KHP-NaOH-phenolphthalein titration. *Sigh*.
Which reminds me - the lab doesn't have any acid-base indicators except possibly phenolphthalein (which I'll have to borrow), either. At least there's the pH meter. *Another sigh*. I don't like monitoring titrations with pH because the amount of rinse water used during the titration will significantly influence results, whereas an indicator is somewhat immune to this dilution effect. The fact that a pH titration requires alot more readings doesn't help matters.
The lack of indicators in the titration makes me wonder, though. Usually, a carbonate-acid titration requires the reaction mixture to be boiled at indicator endpoint to expel CO2 and to allow for a more accurate titration (otherwise the indicator changes colour prematurely due to dissolved carbonic acid). Given that I am monitoring the endpoint using pH, is there much point in me performing the boiling step? Will the inflection point be more obvious, or will there just be a little bump/spike on the pH versus volume curve right before the endpoint? (I am pretty sure the inflection point won't shift much - maybe by a drop of titrant or so.) This powerpoint suggests that yes, I ought to boil anyway, but laziness is a factor here, too...
Alternatively, what if I monitor the first endpoint with phenolphthalein instead? It's not a really good endpoint due to CO2 absorption from the atmosphere, though. (Maybe if I perform the titration really fast...but that's optimism speaking here.)
The third alternative would be to do both - stick in both a pH probe and a few drops of phenolphthalein, and compare endpoints. The phenolphthalein will affect the pH a bit, but not much (ideally). The CO2 absorption problem still applies, however.
And yes, I am well aware that my to-do list has things like "write essays" on it, not "toast baking soda" and "blog". I'll get back to work now...
*To it's credit, it's a *long* burette - 100 mL. Haven't seen that before. On the other hand, this means that I'll need a chair when taking readings. Dammit.
**It's a crappy way of determining pKa and molar mass (assuming monoproticity) of my analyte, but it's all I've got. Ideally, I want the temperature dependence of analyte pKa, but the van't Hoff equation needs information that I won't be able to get.
Sunday, November 9, 2008
Cooking Carbonate Again
Posted by
Echiral
at
5:41 PM
Labels: At Work III, Chemistry
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Use the pH meter with 0.02 N H2SO4 titrant--don't worry about the pH of the standard, it will be out of the calibration range but I promise the titration will still work. Don't worry about boiling the rxn mixture, just stir constantly. In practice, CO2 absorption isn't THAT much of a concern. I leave samples in open beakers for ~4 hours at a time, and it doesn't make any observable difference. (NELAC does get picky about our samples--they have to be stored with no head space.) I do this almost daily (check the EPA's method for determining alkalinity?) and it rarely gives me problems. Of course, I'm using an autotitrator I can set up and leave alone, and that automatically plots out a nice curve for the titration.
(Why are you concerned about rinse volume?)
It's nice to know that CO2 absorption is negligible - maybe I'll use phenolphthalein after all. When I used to do total alkalinity/carbonate content analysis the client only wants it to one decimal place on a burette, so there was no mention of any little details that will improve accuracy. (Aww, I'd love to have an autotitrator at my disposal...)
Rinse volume has previously been a problem for me in pH-based titrations - the amount of water I used for rinsing the pH probe/sides of reaction vessel (into the bulk solution) changes the pH of said bulk solution. This gets annoying when I do replicates and get inconsistent results. On the other hand, that particular reaction involves Hg salts and other stuff, so maybe that particular reaction was just picky that way.
(As it happens, the lab doesn't have any H2SO4. Sad, I know. I'll be using HCl.)
Post a Comment