Much as I would like to deride the deplorable state of affairs regarding the "War on Drugs(TM)" south of the border, Canada has its share of stupid too.
Other bloggers have already pointed out the ignorance and abuse of power at work here, so I won't bother reiterating that. I would proudly say, however, that I do have some reagents one might find in any lab around the world; saying that possession of these reagents imply intention to manufacture methamphetamine or explosives, however, is like saying the possession of table salt implies iodine manufacture. Like saying that dihydrogen monoxide should be banned. Like...like...*at a loss of what sort of simile can adequately describe this sort of idiocy*.
For those who are interested, here's a copy of Canada's Controlled Drugs and Substances Act and a copy of the Precursor Control Regulations. Schedule I - V are pretty much all drugs; Schedule VI deals with precursors, while Schedules VII and VIII lists mixtures (in varying quantities). Thankfully, it's nothing like what the DEA likes to compile.
(I find the following line in this CDSA amendment funny in an exasperating sort of way -
The thing is, cutting out the word "clandestine" is a more accurate reflection of what Class B precursors do, even if we neglect the uses Class B precursors have around an ordinary home.)
*Grumpily* I have acids and bases and elements and a few transition metal salts and a few pieces of glassware; you betcha I'll add to that tiny collection* given any legitimate opportunity. I like making pretty colours; deal with it!
Hat tip to My Chemical Journey. (I don't wear hats in the lab, but if I do, it'll be multicoloured and hole-y...)
(Disclaimer: I am not good at this legal stuff. My rant is therefore of a similar um, quality.)
*The exception being organic solvents: they are expensive and volatile, and I don't play with organics enough to use them.
Monday, December 29, 2008
Chemophobia is Everywhere
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment