Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ah, Interviews.

With my list of prospective employers rapidly dwindling (most people, including the employers I most wanted to work for, rejected me outright, a couple cancelled, others haven't decided yet), I've had two interviews so far. One employer cancelled. So one potential position.

The interview was one of those "behavioural" ones, with questions of the form "tell me about a time when [blank] happened". (Blank being things like "being behind for a project", "worked on a complex project", etc.) I think I did alright, but possibly not well enough to be their first choice. Oh well, it's over now anyway.

That pre-interview scenario was a little strange since, for a change, the employers were late. Given the inclement weather, however, it's understandable.

Somehow I don't think I'll get a job within the first round of interviews. Not fun. Anyway.

Tasks of the day: QIP assignment, marking pickup, inorganic lab (woot!).

Anyway now that I am done my lab report I am going back to sleep for all of one hour.

Oh and incidentally, the condensation product of furfural and cyclopentanone (with some really long name or another) forms awesome, shiny, orange crystals. I took a picture but the cellphone camera doesn't do it justice:

Remind me to take a better picture when I have a chance (haven't handed in the product yet).

Note to self: remember to take the two IRs (E/Z acids) and a melting point (E acid). The recrystallization did not go well at all (stupid ether, evaporating away either too quickly or not at all), and my acid is obviously contaminated (it's yellow when it ought to be white), sigh.

[Edited]
Prettified product image now up and about.

No comments: