Saturday, August 8, 2009

Home Depot Doesn't Have Everything

Home depot doesn't have every imaginable piece of commonly used hardware/"soft"-ware in existence. Amazing.

More specifically, it doesn't have:

  • High-temperature stable adhesives (highest one is 50 oC; that's just embarrassing)
  • High-temperature thermal paste*

In my distress I forgot to get ordinary epoxy. But, on the bright side, at least I finally got my beloved can of WD-40. And I restrained myself from getting more random reagents. Woot.

Time to make a trip to an automotive shop. And the physics department electronics store. Sigh (<-- lazy).

[Edited]
The automotive store had what I wanted, yes! Stove and gasket cements were just what I was looking for. Now it remains to see whether they'll actually do what I want them to do. Interestingly enough, one of them is basically PDMS stiffened with silica and FeO, while the other is more or less a silicate solution.

*I tried electronics stores and computer stores as well, but their thermal pastes don't work over 150 oC, and are insensately costly. 10 dollars for 1 mL, you've got to be joking.

No comments: