Monday, September 14, 2009

First Day

Finally! First day of classes is here, mainly characterized by the hordes of first-years, lineups, and administrivia.

Four official (one unofficial) classes today:

Complex analysis - quite a few little things are so far left as exercises, but they are so minor that they *are* exercises*. Overall, sounds fun.
Inorganic - the transition metals course. Somewhat tedious so far (yay, syllabus), and the professor is prone to typos. On the other hand, the first chapter to be covered is crystal field theory, which ought to be fun.
Computational physical chemistry - I'm not actually in this course yet. It sounds interesting (the first lecture notwithstanding), but whether I will enroll into the course depends on a factor whose status I'll find out tomorrow. Sigh.
Quantum mechanics - the chemist's version, that is. After all the hype (I've wanted to take quantum for the last three years), the first class is a downer. Nooo why don't you just do the variable substitution directly?
Introductory computational math - unsurprisingly, it's CS-y; the lecture is otherwise fine. I'm waiting to see the first assignment.

A peer mentioned that solid state physics is running this term too. Dammit, so tempting! Unfortunately it conflicts with another course.

Tomorrow will be interesting - one course is not in session until next week, one course has indeterminate status (yay?), and one is crosslisted with a graduate computational chemistry course (woot!). There's a lab somewhere in there too, but lab check-ins are possibly the most tedious type of classes in a term and are therefore not really worth mentioning.

*Exception: show that the only complete ordered field (up to isomorphism) is the set of reals. The construction of the reals is certainly not short.

[Edited]
I forgot to mention one more course, in which I'm just auditing (the time for this one got switched - I barely made it to class on time!) - a graduate solid-state structure and bonding course. Two and a half hours of review, with at least one (probably two) more lecture(s) of the same to go. Ow.

4 comments:

Ψ*Ψ said...

unfortunately for you, the math in most quantum chem classes is at my level and not yours ;)

Echiral said...

That's what the math major's version of quantum mechanics is for :D (even though that'll have to wait until at least next year).

Ψ*Ψ said...

masochist! :)

Piromas said...

They have a math major's version of quantum mechanics in your University? Wow... Lucky you.