Either program alone is probably too powerful for a UNIX neophyte like me, actually. But I only need them to ssh to various school servers (with or without X forwarding), without third-party software. They are awesome.
Of course, PuTTY (among other programs) works great for ssh in Windows. But it doesn't let you access the X environment without XWin32, which is 20 dollars a pop* at my school.
On the flip side, WinSCP rocks for file transfer. I'm not sure which equivalent program for Mac is the most suitable, actually. Fugu? Cyberduck? Eh, I'll figure it out when I need it.
The other down side, probably not Terminal's fault, is that programs in this remote X environment are incredibly slow. Kind of like loading an image using a dial-up connection to the internet. Or maybe I shouldn't have used Matlab as my trial program *cough*. Maybe when school starts I can use that down time to nap :P
I also have trouble ssh-ing to one particular server (it doesn't respond to me), but at least it's probably not a problem on my end.
Reminders to self:
ssh hostname does exactly that, but uses your home computer's username and immediately prompts for a password.
ssh -l username hostname uses the indicated username for login
ssh -X hostname enables X11 forwarding.
There's a whole bunch of other options as well, but just get Terminal to tell them to you.
I'm actually a little paranoid about ssh not being secure enough, but I don't know enough UNIX to know what to do, so I'll have to leave it be for now.
Now, what else should I be doing? Seriously, my brain is so bored it's starting to shutdown for naps randomly. I need something to do. (*Mumbles to self* Work report done, resume update done, connecting to school test done, software installation almost done - need to go buy Parallels and a CAS then install Beilstein and Microsoft Office, need to find a job...)
*Meaning, annual license. Either that or run the trial version, which closes after every half an hour.
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
I Heart Terminal and X11
Posted by
Echiral
at
9:01 PM
Labels: University Life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Try adding -C to your ssh command, that should activate compression and help with performance.
As for security, I'm pretty sure ssh is as secure a technology as anything available outside of the NSA. If you use credit cards, mobile phones or pretty much any other technology then you should be comfortable with SSH. Listening to your phone calls or hacking your bank account is way easier than snooping on your SSH link.
Thanks Mika; -C does seem to speed things up a bit.
Post a Comment