Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Reminders to Self, (another?) Software Edition

Stuff I still need to install sooner or later. Preferably sooner. After I finish my assignments for the week, probably.

  • Windows 7, along with an antivirus program for it, whenever that comes out. I don't particularly want to keep Vista...
  • Microsoft Office 2007 (don't tell me to use the Mac version). Dammit, I need to shell out the money for Office. All I really need is Excel - why can't Numbers be half-competent? (OpenOffice isn't good enough, either.)
  • Random Windows-only programs. Beilstein, Chem3D, that sort of thing.

On the advice of several people:
  • Textwrangler*
  • MacPort
  • Cyberduck (I'm waiting for the official Snow Leopard compatible release rather than the beta.)
A CAS (e.g. Mathematica, Maple) would be good too.

*For some reason some people find it funny that I used to use vi. I'd have kept using it except that vi sometimes reads carriage returns wrong (depending on where the original file came from) which ruins all subsequent file manipulations. Right now I'm using TextEdit, but that's pretty limited (e.g. I kept trying to type / instead of command-F for searching).

[edited to clarify]
It's apparently not vi reading the carriage returns wrong. It's stupid Microsoft Windows for putting them in funny in the first place. TextEdit interprets them and therefore doesn't show them, but the Unix part of the computer tells me everything. Back to vi for now I guess.

No comments: