Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Cliffhanger

A brief conversation at the end of a class has managed to completely derail my train of thought for the rest of the day.

Context: Recently I've been trying to run some electronic structure calculations.

Prof (casually): so, I got it to converge.
Me: huh? Which one?
Prof: [insert frustrating molecule here].
Me (who spent an entire weekend and then some on this*): What?! What'd you do?
Prof: You just have to keep at it. I started at around dinner-time and got a convergent structure by around midnight. Anyway, we can talk about this tomorrow.

(For the record, he's not a new PI. How he found the time, I have no clue.)

If it weren't for the fact that I was running late for my next class, I would've stalked the professor back to his office and bombarded him with questions. As it stands, I'm now completely distracted for the rest of the day. CS is due tomorrow, but I can't focus on it. Dammit! What kind of magical things did he do to make it work? Is it something brute-force, or is it something out of the blue that only he'd have thought of? More importantly, does the method work in a more general way, and what kind of behaviour does the solution have? Don't tell me the tantalizing part and leave the important bit for next day! I wannnna knowwwww!

*A weekend is nothing when it comes to calculations, but when the professor got a solution in a few hours and you didn't...

No comments: