Saturday, November 14, 2009

Petrified

The PI may be taking the entire group for an outing next week. This, of course, happens now and then. Right now, though, I'm hoping rather desperately that he won't go through with it.

Why? See title.

Why that? That should be obvious.

With the last group I worked with, the meeting of other group members kind of just happened. It was right after my last final, and I wasn't worrying about people - I was just relieved that exams were over. Furthermore, I usually opt out of social events when I can. This time, though, I have more than enough notice to freak out, and this one's not really optional from a courtesy point of view. Dammit, I'm not a people person, I can't deal with this! Yes, yes, people won't bite, but they sure have long memories for gaffes of all varieties, to many of which I am prone.

If this is an industrial work term, I will try to remind myself to be professional (y'know, a firm handshake and eye contact and try to make small talk about the weather and all that - yes this is not instinctive yet), but I won't be as nervous as I am now (which is comparable to pre-interview freakout). This probably has to do with the setting - when one is in a lab or an office for the first time, it's normal to behave a little formally. Outside, though - run away!

I don't remember being this nervous before/during company social events, either; this is probably because I expect to be an observer to social gaffes (e.g. tipsy people), not um, participate in it even when sober. Besides, "dutifully attending company functions" and "freaking out" aren't exactly compatible actions.

The really strange thing is that I kind-of know a third of the group already (not personally, just in a "we are aware of each others' respective existence" kind of way). Still scared, though.

Anyway, I hope the PI doesn't do this, therefore enabling me to maintain what little is left of my sanity.

[Edited]
This is going to happen. Watch me crash and burn.

1 comment:

Ψ*Ψ said...

Relax and be nice (well, as nice as possible). People usually tolerate their awkward labmates as long as they're not totally nasty people!
Also, I've noticed that academic group outings frequently involve beer or wine. Take advantage of a little of either to put yourself at ease...and then you will have a built-in excuse for social gaffes...