Saturday, January 23, 2010

Diction

Y'know how one's vocabulary rapidly degenerates in the presence of a kitty? It turns out that in my case, this happens with coloured crystals, too.

See, the typical organic colourless crystals one sees during lab class aren't particularly interesting - eh, as long as I actually have a yield, and decent spectra, it's all good.

When the crystals are deeply coloured, and large enough to glitter in the recrystallization solvent, however...

It's sparkly! And red! And inside a large RBF! Squee! Looking at it makes me happy.
(Actually, I think everyone who successfully made this compound has experienced this - it's a long and annoying prep, but the product is attractive enough to make up for it.)

Sadly, the first crop is the prettiest one - subsequent crops have an unfortunately tendency to become microcrystalline/powdery/less shiny.

Now, please let my NMR match the literature *fingers crossed*.

1 comment:

Ψ*Ψ said...

EEEEE!!! SHINY!
(Now you understand why I'm in my research field. Bright colors + shiny xtals = awesome!)