Friday, February 2, 2007

A deep breath before the plunge

Midterms begin (for me) next week, starting with algebra on Monday night. Did I mention that I am in no way prepared?
This weekend shall be dedicated to studying Algebra...typing up proofs and such on Saturday, and practicing problems on Sunday. I shall have to cram in as much statistics as I can, as well, since that midterm is also coming. Not to mention calculus. And chemistry.

*Sigh* It is astonishing how much time the job-search process consumes. Two calculus lectures, gone. One chemistry lecture, gone. And there's a mandatory job fair coming up - that'll take all day, depriving me of every class from Thermodynamics to Algebra and Organic Chemistry - even Calculus tutorial! (Oh nooooo!)

There is a sense of futility in all this:

  • Interview 1: It went (optimistically) fairly well, although the primary interviewer actually seems a bit shy (ironically). One weird question - "what flavour of ice cream do you like?". (As long as it's not a "psychological" question, I think I'll be ok on that one...) Of course, the interview was also short. I sincerely hope that I did not come across as arrogant. Erk - I like this job, too. And I forgot to ask for their business cards! (Ended up writing thank-you notes by hand. With alot of luck, they won't mind...)
  • Interview 2: Maybe it was due to sleep-deprivation, but this interview went Very poorly. First: 3 interviewers, 1 me. Second: they asked questions like "suppose you are a consultant and a client comes in with an ill-defined question..." - note that I have never had any intention of becoming an consultant and thus had never thought about it. Although I like this job as well, I have a strong feeling they will reject me. Also, I forgot to ask for their business cards on this one, too. (Yep, more hand-written notes.)
  • Job fair to come: one day of lectures, all gone, in order to "network with employers". Lovely calculus...algebra...statistics...organic chemistry... *sad*
  • Interview 3 to come: I have no idea why I got selected for this interview ("process technician")...better brush up on my analytical chemistry skills - I really don't know how to use a auto-titrator and similar apparati, even if I can use a spectrophotometer and can set up a traditional chromatography column (i.e. pour in silica gel slurry and bang the column alot).
  • Interview 4 to come: Another "I am so doomed!" interview to come, since this involves a 90 minute programming exam. That is all very well, except I don't have a clue on how to program using a "functional" mindset (versus object-oriented)...and I am illiterate in VBScript/JScript, which the employer likes. Oh well, at least I don't have an attachment to this particular position.
Enough interview woes for the day...back to thermodynamics, then CS assignment. Oh, and I better read the physics lab and sketch a report outline in advance too. Not to mention one more application package I need to put together (need to remember to get a reference's address). It is probably understated to say "I can't wait until reading week".

No comments: