Today is not a good day.
I've had (I hope) my last two interviews of the term, one of which is also the worst interview I've ever had. And I had to miss inorganic to go, too! (and they were covering group theory, *sigh*)
It's easier to talk about the second interview first. It's an in-person interview for a more-or-less routine analytical position. Basically, it consists of a "verbal obstacle course" whereby the interviewer fires questions at me. Because the position is on something somewhat outside my field, I can't answer all the questions as confidently as I should, but overall it was fine. I liked the fact that they had an IC, though.
The first interview, though, was very bad. Phone interview for a research position. The interviewer and I had alot of issues trying to understand each other. The interviewer also can't seem to figure out that I give a little background information as context before answering the question, and am not trying to dodge the question. In the end I just answered yes/no to his questions, which is not conducive to explanations. Of course, there were some "epic fails" that were entirely my fault, also. They did have some cool gadgetry (electron microscopes, GC-MS, fluorescence spectrophotometer, and the like), but there's no way the interviewer will offer me this job, and no way I will take it even if the offer was extended.
Another problem is that I keep forgetting I have analytical tutorial. Which means I've skipped quizzes that I shouldn't have. Dammit! Must remember to go to tutorial! (I've now scribbled numerous notes and stuck them all over my desk; I hope this will help me remember for next week...)
Thirdly, I have my real analysis midterm 2* today. It was alright, I guess. I am sure one of my solutions is wrong because it didn't use a stated condition, but we'll see what happens. At least I remembered Baire's Theorem (for open sets) and its proof, which happened to be the first problem on the exam. Oh well, what will be, will be.
Lastly, I didn't do as well on my differential equations midterm as I've hoped. Three marks off: one is a completely idiotic mistake (copied the answer wrong, imagine that!), while the other two involves a stupid graphing problem, and I can't do curve sketching properly (with Euler's method and suchlike) for the life of me.
To come: organic lab (Fischer esterification, which has failed for me every single time I've done it), analytical midterm (which might actually be fun), organic midterm (eep!), and possibly getting back my first thermodynamics midterm so I can start studying for the second one (which is next week). Also, I'll be able to see which employers have officially rejected me after the interview, late this week. Woo.
On the bright side, I'll be using a GC sometime this week! Whee, GC! I wonder what the detector is, though. Guess I'll find out.
[edited]
As if to top everything off, I just found out that one of the jobs I wanted (and I think might get an offer for) got cancelled - the employer isn't going to hire anybody. That makes me sad.
[follow-up]
Thermodynamics midterm was ok, I guess. I didn't expect them to solve a particular problem that way. Oh well. And I totally forgot about biochemistry midterm, which will be back soon, also (meh, biochemistry).
[Thursday]
Biochemistry midterm came back; it was not particularly good. Then again, it's biochemistry. Analytical midterm was surprisingly easy; I don't think I can say that about organic midterm tomorrow (eep). Oh, and the GC has a FID detector (analysing for organics, not surprisingly). It was kind of cute - manual injection!
*Remark: for such an exam, a graphing calculator is completely forbidden, and completely useless; this is fine by me because graphing calculators are evil, expensive creatures whose main actual uses are 1) AP Calculus BC exams and 2) playing Tetris.
Monday, June 16, 2008
Today is Not My Day
Posted by
Echiral
at
7:01 PM
Labels: Job Search, University Life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
At least you're getting in a LOT of interviewing experience. By the time you graduate (BS or PhD?), you should have no trouble finding a job. IC is not as exciting as it sounds...one of my coworkers would probably give up running it in a heartbeat if he had the option. SEM is superawesome fun; I've never gotten to play with TEM. The cuvettes for fluorimeters are cute--they have blacked-out sides.
What are you shooting into the GC? That may go a long way into telling you what kind of detector is in it.
As evil as you may think graphing calculators are, I love my 83+. Such a nice large screen...good for longish calculations so I can actually see what I'm typing in.
Regarding the GC: apparently I'll be told what I am injecting into the GC on the day of analysis. The powers that be like to keep it a mystery, I guess.
Regarding the graphing calculator: one of the reasons I like pure math: (essentially) no numerical calculations!
Awwww. Too bad they won't tell you.
I think I abandoned math before it got fun. It's not that I was bad at it--it always made sense--but I'm terrible with screwing up calculations and flipping signs. Lately I'm getting more intimately acquainted with group theory, though, hopefully beyond picking out vibrational modes in spectra. (Am trying to pick up a little solid-state physics. Not easy for an organiker.)
If you ever get the chance to intern in a crystallography lab, or at least take a class in the subject, DO IT. The theory is full of maths, the toys are way cool, and you get to look at lots of shiny things. (You seem to like picking up new instruments.)
Post a Comment